Middle School Parish-Wide Sports Opportunities
Mission and Goals
The Des Moines Area Catholic Athletic League is based in Catholic values. The mission is to provide each eligible member of our parishes an opportunity to participate in athletics through leagues functioning in a family-oriented environment. Catholic athletics furthers the mission of the Catholic Church by providing sports experiences for youth that are firmly rooted in the Catholic faith tradition, based on the goals of Catholic youth ministry, and aligned with the evangelizing mission of the Catholic Church. Our goals are to improve the health and wellness of the parish communities, promote healthy lifestyles among their members, and provide those members with the best possible facilities to use while participating in parish activities.
Sports under DM Area Catholic Athletic League:
*In season parish sports take priority in practices and games over out of season sports.
Parochial Volleyball League (PVL)
Girls Volleyball -6-8th grade
August thru October
Catholic Basketball League (CBL)
Girls Basketball - 6th-8th grade
Mid-October thru December
Boys Basketball - 6th-8th grade
January thru Mid-March
Boys & Girls - 5-8th grade
Mid-March thru Mid-May
Follow basketball dates for girls and boys
Pre-Season Requirements of Participants:
● Fees paid by established deadline
● Registration Form - includes emergency and medical consent information (included in this Handbook)
● Current Annual Physical (you can get one from your doctor)
● Insurance Waiver (included in this Handbook)
● Code of Conduct signed by participant and parent/guardian
● Concussion Protocol/Facts Sheet with sign off (included in this Handbook)
● Sign off on knowledge of and reading of the Handbook, participant and parent/guardian (included in this Handbook)
● Students must be in grades 6-8 for girls volleyball, grades 6-8 for basketball, grades 6-8 for cheerleading, and grades 5-8 for track.
● The participant’s parent or legal guardian is registered with the parish of the team they wish to join, or the participant is a student in the parish’s school or faith formation program.
● A participant may only play on one parish team per school year.
● Grade requirements may be considered by individual parish.
● A player ejected from a game due to unsportsmanlike conduct will be removed from all games that day and also ineligible for the next game date.
● Participants must attend school/home school at least a half-day immediately preceding an athletic event on that same day. Absences due to scheduled appointments with a healthcare provider or due to a family tragedy will be considered excused.
● Local parish athletics overseers (this may be an athletic director, athletic committee, etc) will determine eligibility for players in violation of the Player Code of Conduct (see below).
● This league is coached by volunteers. To respect the coaches’ time and the effort of all the teammates, it is required that participants commit to a minimum of 50% of all practices during the week prior to that week’s league events.
To register: send email to STCSathletics@gmail.com. Include child’s name, grade, and jersey size. Once received, a registration/concussion form with be sent via email and must be received before the first practice. To participate in athletics, a sports physical must be file in the office. This is different than a school physical. We rely on volunteers to make our programs successful. Please consider volunteering to coach a team, we need an assistant and head coach for each team. If interested please email your name, phone number, and email address. Please call Will Stemler at 321-7292 if you have any questions.